On June 12, 2013, the Marois Government tabled Bill 52 ( An Act Respecting End-of-Life Care).This bill defines "medical aid in dying" as a form of healthcare and a right.
WHAT EXACTLY IS "MEDICAL AID IN DYING"?
Let us neither play with words nor camouflage reality. "Let's Call a Spade a Spade. Medical aid in dying is Euthanasia" (Dr. Yves Robert, secretary of the College of Physicians of Quebec, quoted by L'Actualité médicale, January 29, 2013).
WHAT IS EUTHANASIA?
Euthanasia is killing a person intentionally and directly, with or without that person's consent, for reasons of compassion. The Criminal Code of Canada sees this as a homicide. There is nothing human in killing another person.
- EUTHANASIA KILLS.
- EUTHANASIA IS DANGEROUS.
- EUTHANASIA IS NOT NECESSARY.
We already have the right to refuse or to discontinue treatment.
We already have the right to say "no" to overtreatment.
We already have the right to receive palliative sedation which aims solely at reducing pain.
KILLING IS NOT CARE
(Physicians' Alliance for Total Refusal of Euthanasia, La Presse, February 19, 2013)
LET'S ELIMINATE PAIN, NOT PATIENTS.
We must keep our hospitals safe.
QUALITY PALLIATIVE CARE IS WHAT WE NEED.
We must protect the weakest and most vulnerable.
"An end of life with dignity through palliative care accessible to all, not euthanasia." (Assembly of Catholic Bishops of Quebec, January 18, 2013).
WE MUST NOT GIVE ANYONE
-ESPECIALLY OUR PHYSICIANS-
THE POWER TO KILL.
Only then will we be able to keep our trust in them.
WE MUST ACT NOW!
WHAT IS THE POSITION OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH ?
"Whatever its motives and means, direct euthanasia consists in putting an end to the lives of handicapped, sick or dying people. It is morally unacceptable."(Catechism of the Catholic Church, No. 2277).
"I confirm that euthanasia is a grave violation of God's law, as it is a deliberate and morally unacceptable killing of a human person." (John Paul II, The Gospel of Life, No. 65).
WHAT CAN YOU DO IF YOU LIVE IN QUÉBEC ?
"We very much appreciate the commitment and contribution of all those citizens (...) who act in solidarity with the most vulnerable et who aim at building a culture of life and compassion » (Assembly of Quebec Catholic Bishops, January 2013)
1. CONTACT YOUR MNA: pay a visit or write to the person you elected to represent YOU. Find her or his name and contact at www.assnat.qc.ca or at 1-866-337-8837.
WHAT WILL YOU SAY? You can use one or more of the following points:
- I am totally opposed to Bill 52: please vote against it!
- Euthanasia is an act whereby one person causes the death of another person, usually by lethal injection. It is a form of homicide. If Bill 52 is adopted, there will be deaths without consent and other abuses. Euthanasia is dangerous. Please vote against
- Euthanasia is opposed to the philosophy and practice of palliative care. Yet, Bill 52 gives a definition of palliative care that includes euthanasia. Euthanasia is not heath care and killing is not caring. Please vote against Bill 52!
- According to Bill 52 a person will need to suffer from an incurable serious illness and to be in an advanced state of irreversible decline in capability to be euthanized. Because it will not be necessary to be terminally ill, disabled persons or persons living with a chronic disease will be threatened. Please vote against Bill 52!
- People with chronic depression and mental illness are threatened by Bill 52. They will not have to accept treatment that they deem intolerable against their physical or psychological pain. Please vote against Bill 52!
2. WRITE TO THE MEDIA when they start reporting again on Bill 52.
3. SIGN the declaration supporting the Physicians' Alliance for Total Refusal of Euthanasia .
Their motto: "Caring, Not Killing" (www.totalrefusal.blogspot.ca).
4. JOIN the social network "Living with Dignity" (www.vivredignite.com and
- CONSULT the Catholic Organization for Life and Family (www.colf.ca) and pray incessantly.
QUÉBEC'S ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES
MUST REJECT BILL 52